Wednesday, 22 July 2009

Soup!

I have been sick with a cold for several days now. I apologise for neglecting you! Now that I am feeling a bit better, I thought I would share a favourite recipe with you. Ok, well, maybe not a recipe - more of a guideline for goodness! Here is my quick, easy, and yummy chicken soup. It is so easy that you can even make it when you are sick...



Favourite Chicken Soup

1 Litre Chicken Stock
1 Litre Vegetable Stock
Half of a Roasted Chicken (shredded)
Handful of Diced Bacon Pieces
500 Grams Frozen Mixed Vegetables (mine is diced peas, corn, carrots, and potato)
2 Onions (i recommend the chopped frozen ones to avoid the tears)
2 Tsp Minced Garlic
About a handful of Mixed Italian Herbs
About a handful of Basil
A little bit of Vegie Stock Powder
Sprinkling of Salt
Sprinkling of White Pepper


Method:
Lightly saute the onions, garlic, and bacon. Add to stockpot the liquid stocks, shredded chicken, herbs (to taste), and seasoning (to taste). Then add the mixed vegetables. You can also add pasta at this point if you like (just don't overcook it!) Let simmer for 10 - 15 minutes, do a taste test, then enjoy!

This makes a lot, so feel free to half the recipe (it also freezes very well). You can certainly feel free to roast your own chicken, make your own stock, or use fresh veggies and herbs. Of course, this will make it a bit more time consuming. I admit that I am no Martha Stewart, but it is still healthy and tasty.

4 comments:

Warwick said...

MMMM it is a VERY yummy soup! especially when your not well.

louisepower said...

A handful of this and a bit of that. You're such a free spirited nanna cook. (highest compliment). You make me laugh and laugh.
ps really a whole handful of mixed herbs and another whole handful of basil? and where do you buy half a roasted chicken? like a BBQ chicken?
mmmm.... making me hungry. i'm going to try it. thank you xx

Shannon said...

I will take that as a compliment, thank you! Yes, it is the chicken you pick up "pre-cooked" from the shop. Feel free to use less herbs if you prefer. Just to clarify - about a handful is probably equivalent to a tablespoon (not a cupped hand full). Let me knwo how you go! :)

Shannon said...

I will take that as a compliment, thank you! Yes, it is the chicken you pick up "pre-cooked" from the shop. Feel free to use less herbs if you prefer. Just to clarify - about a handful is probably equivalent to a tablespoon (not a cupped hand full). Let me knwo how you go! :)