Friday, 17 July 2009

Poetry

My big brother (Shane) has many talents. He is a wonderful artist and poet. It is my hope that he will let me publish one (or more!) of his poems on my blog. He is definitely a favourite of mine! Until I am able to share his with you, I would like to share a classic piece of 19th Century poetry. It is one of my all time favourites....
She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impair'd the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!
-George Gordon (Lord) Byron (1788-1824)-

3 comments:

Stabby Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
katie said...

Shane needs to let you post some on here. i would love to read it! i hope all is well on the other side of the world =)

louisepower said...

ouch. i just read the first paragraph but actually made my head hurt. I will try again after i've had a sleep. I've got a feeling its really beautiful and i will love it.